Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Yagazie Emezi: Aba to Albuquerque

I didn't grow up in a big city. I was born and raised in Aba, Abia State. My village is Umuechokwu in Old Umuahia. I don't come from a rich home but my parents worked hard to send me to a private school. I grew up running around barefoot, sucking mango seeds dry and pretending there were fairies in the flowers I held.

My mother is Malaysian and my father is Nigerian. I am an Igbo Aba gal. The uglies of my past did not tint the beauty of my childhood, like the way the harmattan wind smelt during the 6am walks to school, the sour odor of the person next to you on the bus, the dipping movement of the dragon fly during the rainy season, my father's smile; straight teeth but slightly stained, the sweat my classmates and I shared when standing tightly packed together during the morning assembly.

We are all homesick. Everywhere we go, we get a whiff of home and we inhale. Sucking in the air, hoping it will take us back to that moment in time when we could touch aroma. I live in Albuquerque, New Mexico now. I haven't seen my father in six years and I miss Nigeria.

With a double major in Cultural Anthropology and Africana Studies, I have expanded on my passions, read on upwards my dears.

11 comments:

  1. Hello my fellow naija sista! I am falling in love with ur blog & def ur sense of style! I also have a blog called Bald Heads & Platforms baldheadsplatforms.blogspot.com Check it out, I know you will enjoy! As African sista's lets support, connect & enjoy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i enjoyed reading this
    it was beautiful
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok, u can like to update soon *Rme*

    ReplyDelete
  4. hola lady.

    loving your blog.

    O
    of the Cerberus.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i just discovered you and i love youuuuuu. Awu kwam nwa Aba.Ugochi Anyaka.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for such a fresh blog and a window into you!
    Katrina
    www.lovenaomisrose.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi

    i like ur videos on youtube. im(drexwald) following u on tumbler and sent u a fb request(ikeche Philip).

    Talk about african women shakara when they are being chiked. i wanna know mens reaction compared to how women respond to them in the western world... dont know if i make sense- lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good to know there is another Igbo in Albuquerque. We are a family of 6, originally from Aboh, Delta State. Welcome to Albuqueruqe - perhaps we will cross paths one day.

    ReplyDelete