Monday, May 14, 2012

Being Back Home

I have a lot more separate posts to make about Nigeria, but I'll start with this one as a quick summary.

I've been back in the States for coming up to a month now. I spent 9 amazing weeks back in Nigeria for the first time in 7 years. I chose to go back in February so that I could celebrate my father's birthday and mine with him. All my fears and paranoia of being back in Nigeria were dispersed the second I landed in Lagos and then in Port Harcourt. I live in Aba, but my luggage had not arrived so I had to stay in Port Harcourt an extra day. The anticipation was unbearable, but I was glad to see my father again after so long.

Our first sighting of each other wasn't as dramatic as one would have expected. I spent an extra hour in baggage claim trying to figure the situation out and I was able to peep out my father as he waited outside the doors for me. A day later, we headed out to Aba. There was a military checkpoint at every mile or so, but I was more nervous about the hired driver's continuous and unnecessary honking. We finally arrived in Aba and everything was so different as would have been expected.

(Sorry, you have to tilt your head)
video


My father. We spent every evening going to Aba Sports Club. The Club was founded in the early 1900's for the elite members of society (i.e, all the white folks). Of course that changed and it became a family club which we became a part of. A lot of time was spent there as a child. Nowadays, I call it The Club of Old Men. Yes, because that's what it's all about now.

 The upside of being the only young woman in the Club was the constant eating I got to do.

I paid a visit to my old school which was just the same as ever. This is the primary section. The paint is new though.

The Secondary Section 

A typical classroom. Usually holds up to 60 students. Not so fond memories of getting flogged came back.


I spent just about everyday with Uzoaru. We went to school together since kindergarten and words cannot express what a great friend and woman she is.

The kitchen bak at home honestly hasn't changed, but I hated going in there. We went weeks without electricity so the food wouldn't keep and we had to re-heat everything before we went to bed.

FOOD!

A couple of times during a week, my father would bring back a treat for me to stuff my face with.


 Udara! One of my favorite fruits in Nigeria. I just hate the stickiness of it all, but I live for sucking on the seeds.

My father being adorable on my birthday.

My mosquito protection gear.

Perfection. I love peeling mangoes all the way.





More than anything now that I'm back, I miss my father. I miss his sense of humor, his patience and his advice. I can't wait to be back home again.

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this post and pics! It reminds me of Ghana and makes me miss it and my parents {tear}. I love your long braids! I am looking forward to more posts and pictures :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH this makes me want to go back home so bad, the food and family are what i miss the most. but just the country itself just warms my heart. seeing udara made my mouth water i could never chew it long enough for it to turn to chewing gum though lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So amazing! I love it all. So happy that you were able to do this trip, be with family & friends and embrace it all. that protection gear is fierce...lol. Not gonna lie the food looks amazing. I love mangoes and fried plantains (has to be really ripe though)...I miss food back home (i.e. St. Lucia). Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. seems like u had fun..... Aba has changed a lot o, and its very annoying

    ReplyDelete
  5. What is it about the prospect of going home, i.e Naij. that makes you shit scared, amidst being excited for X.Y and Z reasons? Love this post because In a few weeks, I am going to Lagos and then Port Harcout (which I haven't been back to since I was 11), so I've got an incy snap shot of what to expect with this post, thank you!
    I've missed Dodo!!
    I think its great you have such a close relationship with your Pa. Maybe it's just me but living abroad for almost 20yrs, I've found that more often than not, trying to keep a strong relationships with the older Naij generation (especially family) can get weakened due to clashing of the Western and African culture, different attitudes to the 'respect factor', cliche stetereotypes etc. So it's touching to see yours with your Pa has stayed strong.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ur mosquito gear very much resembles mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. awwww the pics of you and your dad are adorable
    im glad you had such a nice time, especially after it being so long
    cant wait to see the remaining posts

    ReplyDelete
  8. Emezie, by all the powers vested in me handed by my fathers and forefathers, I ORDER YOU TO COME BACK TO THE BLOGGING WORLD N.O.W!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. awww, i got teary when i saw the picture of I.E.L.C, didn't think i would miss dat school but i do, and hey, i remember aba sport club too :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do you know how amazing I find the fact that not only are you Nigerian but your family lives in Aba? That's so close. I live in PH! (Old G.R.A)
    I love love love your Tumblr and hair.
    And your mosquito protection gear is adorable <3

    Personal Style Blog By ORR

    ReplyDelete